Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Funny/Interesting Stories

I love hearing missionary stories. They are usually different and it is interesting to hear different cultures. Over the past few months we have had some funny experiences that I thought you might enjoy.

This is not very funny but was a culture experience. Just this past weekend Kim couldn't find her cell phone. So I called it to see if we could find it. To my surprise a Filapino male answered the phone. I asked how he got the phone and he said that it was a lost phone. I told him that it was mine and would like it back. He wanted my address so he could deliver the phone. That is not a really good idea. He told me to text him later. So the next day I texted that I would like to meet him at a mall to pick up the phone. His response was ok sir. I texted him 3 more times that night with no response. Say good bye to the phone. Kind of interesting but frustrating.

Last week one of our boys injured his ankle. He was limping pretty bad the next morning with increased pain. So I told him that we should get an x-ray to have it checked out. We go to the hospital. We ask for the radiology department. Then we go to the radiology department and ask for a x-ray. We fill out a basic form. She gives us a slip of paper and tells us to go to the cashier. We go to the cashier and pay for the x-ray. It was about $10. Then we go back to radiology and waited for about 15 minutes. He got his x-ray and then I picked up the films and report the next day. A little different than the states. By the way the x-ray was negative.

A couple months ago our TV was struck by lightening. In this country they fix everything before they buy something new. So I took the tv to a repair shop. He told me it was an electrical problem and it would take 3-5 days and he would call me when it was done. On the 6th day I hadn't heard anything so I gave him a call. I asked about the tv and he said it was under observation. Immediately I thought of a patient in the hospital. Apparently they had fixed it but had to make sure it was working so it was under observation. We could just picture them just watching our tv for a few days. I did get the TV back and it is working well.

It is funny to see the culture differences. I am sure that I will think of more stories.

Thanks!

Larry

No comments: